Old Is the New New

11 Oct

If you’re new to the strip or even if you’ve been a loyal reader for several years, you will enjoy Classic “Lila’s” because they are being updated to hopefully be funnier and more contemporary. I’ve learned a lot through these past nine years, and as I’m going through the original strips, I’ve been enjoying punching them up and even changing copy to make them more enjoyable than the first time around. So even if your local newspaper stopped carrying “The Meaning of Lila,” be sure to check it out online at Creator’s new comic strip website, Alpha Comedy. Thanks for reading! –John

About these ads

6 Responses to “Old Is the New New”

1. Susan Koch October 12, 2012 at 12:02 am #

I am enjoying the reruns very much. Catching up on what I missed is great. Thanks for keeping it going any way you can John.

2. jwforgetta October 12, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Thanks, Susan, for sticking with Lila! I appreciate your loyalty :-)

3. Plaid Wolf October 13, 2012 at 12:01 am #

I found Lila a few years ago on an alien website, followed her to GoComics after the merge (takeover?), and thoroughly enjoyed the strip each day…you saw me as john K over there, but i will still read the classics and hope that at some point, you can continue the story (or maybe if you can restart it, pick up the story a few years later and fill in what happened in the meantime (Annie’s chemo worked, and she is now, maybe not healthy, but at least still there to keep her adopted Mom in line….Lila and some guy met and he was able to tolerate her shoe fetishes and convince her that there is more to life than what she has known…and even Boyd finds that little bit of happiness we all want) There is still so much story potential with everyone…this is one strip that was in NO danger of falling into the tiredness that has plagued strips like Cathy or Funky, simply because the perspective was so simple yet brilliantly carried out……

4. Joreymay October 13, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

To quote Yogurt (from Spaceballs): “Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made.” With your fan base, you could be doing fairly well with Lila merchandise, and that, in turn, can help build your fan base some more. Lila (and other character) pins, shirts, shoe bags, stickers, etc. could be a hit. There are places that specialize in making such things for webcomics and the like. And as others have mentioned, books. And as they didn’t mention, ebooks.

There is also a certain amount of room for some judicious product placement, if you get a good agent to negotiate the deal. Cleveland has a lot of merchants who could benefit from a mention in the strip, and would pay for that and some would also pay for Lila themed signs and the like for the store. And again, those things in the stores can help build your fan base. You could even go national, but that takes more work and more care. For instance, think of a smallish, high end shoe store with a shoe she likes.

Yes, these things would take a certain amount of work. And you are unlikely to even approach the level of the Peanuts empire. But there is still a lot of money to be made, enough to keep you and the artists well ahead of the game.

5. Cal Reimer November 18, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Totally shocked here. Lila was one of the bright characters in my daily comics. Saad…

6. Barb Fischer November 23, 2012 at 7:09 am #

I couldn’t figure out where Annie went so looked you up online today. I’m so sorry things haven’t worked out. I’ve been reading Lila in Canada for quite a long time and couldn’t wait every day to find out what she and the gang were up too. I will continue to read the classics but do hope some day you can get back to the present with the strip! Thanks for many enjoyable years!